Wednesday, March 14, 2012

How is Your Courage?

"How is your courage?"

Since coming to my community and church I have learned a number of new words, phrases and terms that now grace my vocabulary. Out of all of them this my favourite.

To break it down even further I would say that the words "discouragement" and "courage" have changed my perspective on life. A strong statement for two words I realize, but I'm an English major - I'm allowed to have these kind of epiphanies.

I believe that discouragement is a positive word. We tend to use dramatic words with such finality when we're dissatisfied with our life circumstances. Sad, upset, depressed, angry, mad, hurt, resentful. Not that these feelings aren't warranted at times but I wonder if maybe we give these negative feelings far too much power by defining them all the time. After all, they are just feelings. Feelings come and go and are very biased to the situation or person they relate to.

To me, "discouraged" describes a state where you have demonstrated that you have courage, but something has happened that has made you forget that courage, suppress your courage or lose your courage. I think "discouragement" is a positive word because if you can acknowledge that you're simply feeling discouraged then the solution is easy! Go get more courage!

I don't know where to get "happy" or where to get "satisfaction" or "justification" but I know where to go to get courage.

First, you can find courage in the core of your being. It is something you can make a habit of self-producing. It can never be fully taken away away from you - you can just make more. You utilize your core courage by making conscious decisions about how you want to handle your discouraging circumstance. Each little decision to press forward, despite the circumstances increases your courage.

Secondly, courage can be given to you by your friends and family. It's a gift. Sometimes it's a few words, or a long talk, a hug or just their support. You might need this first before you can even find your intrinsic core courage factory. Having friends and family that can give you this gift is invaluable.

However, the most valuable place to go find yourself some new courage is in the Bible. Seriously! If you're not inclined to believe me then I don't know what else to tell you. . .good luck I guess? Did you know that God tells us to be strong and of good courage about 25 times in the Old Testament alone?And most of those times he is making a promise to see us through and lead us.


"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." Deuteronomy 31:5-7


God spends a lot of time throughout the whole book trying to reassure us that He is with us, will never leave us, and has a plan for us. He is the cure for discouragement. By ourselves we may not have enough courage to get through but God can give us what we need if we ask. 


That's why I think the words "discouraged" and "courage" are powerful. They prompt you to take action. When I received "bad" news the other night, my friend noticed that I was upset and she hugged me and said that she knew it was discouraging. The little light in my head went on and I realized that the news was nothing but discouraging. I'm quite used to discouragement and I know how to handle it! My friend gave me courage, then I read my Bible and was encouraged enough that my personal little courage factory moved into gear. There's no need to wallow in discouragement if you know what you need to do. 


How is your courage?







No comments:

Post a Comment