Monday, March 26, 2012

Simple Gluten-Free: Pretty Pink Strawberry Icing Cupcakes

I know that there are people who get all kinds of anxious when they know I'm coming to their home. Why? Because they don't know what to feed me. Where I am hospitality is a big part of life but for some the thought of creating a gluten-free meal or snack is overwhelming. People are afraid that they'll inadvertently contaminate something, or that it won't taste good, or that it's just too difficult. I try to give these people a few simple guidelines.

1. I come for the company; not for the food: Seriously, food is not high on the list of things that excite me. I am one of those people that will literally forget to eat. I am more interested in good conversation and laughs than what's being served.

2. You will not kill me: I am usually the one that inadvertently poisons myself because I'm being lazy. If I get contaminated it's my own fault for not asking more questions or checking labels. And even if I'm contaminated it does not always necessarily equal physical illness and if it does, oh well, I'll have to be more careful next time. 

3. Gfree can be simple. Meat, vegetables, fruits and most dairy are gluten free. Simple, old-fashioned meals are usually gluten free meals or can be made to be easily. 

4. I don't expect any extra effort to be made on my behalf and I am very appreciative of any effort that is.

On that note - this is not really a food blog. However, I thought I might post a few things that I make gluten-free that are as simple as it can get. 

Golden Cupcakes with 
Homemade Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing

These are simple because I am going to tell you to bypass all those recipes that require three different kinds of exotic flours and go to a grocery store and get some Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Golden Cake mix. Exotic flour recipes are good; but they can be unpredictable sometimes and require a few tries to get it right. I think if you want to make something yummy for your gluten-free friend or family member, Betty Crocker is the way to go. 



This particular mix will require three large eggs, two teaspoons of vanilla extract (make sure it's g-free, the common Club House brand is as off 2012 at least), 1/2 cup of butter and 2/3 cup of water. That's all on the back of the box.


This is probably the best gluten-free cake mix I have come across. They come out of the oven after 20 mins a beautiful colour and a nicely rounded top. 





Once the cupcakes are cool it's time for the icing. You will need:

250 g of cream cheese (softened)
1/4 cup of butter (softened)
Half cup of cut up fresh strawberries
3 or more cups of icing sugar

1. Wash and cut up your strawberries. It's not an exact science. You need about a half cup or a bit more of strawberries that have been cut up into a size that your electric hand mixer can manage to beat to a pulp. Put them aside.

2. Soften up your butter and cream cheese together in the microwave (40 seconds) throw into a mixing bowl and cream it together with the mixer. 

3. Gradually add a cup of icing sugar at a time. I usually add in the strawberries before the third cup of icing sugar. This turns the icing to the pretty pink colour! No food dyes necessary.

4. You can add in icing sugar to get the consistency you desire. I'm not a huge fan of gritty, stiff icings so I tend to leave mine more on the pudding-like side of the spectrum. But add your sugar as you see fit. Then you can either pipe the icing on each adorable little cupcake or take a knife and slather it on. 



These simple cupcakes took less than an hour to make and they are stress and gluten-free. I hope yours taste as good as mine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment