Friday, April 20, 2012

Painting Words

It's already April 20 and I haven't posted anything this month. It's not because I've lost interest, not in the least. I have stared at this blog nearly every day this month and I have a few rough drafts sitting on my desktop as we speak. The thing is, they're really big thoughts. Big thoughts need time to mature or they can get out of control. They require discussion with friends, prayers with God and a big dose of "what am I trying to say?" reflection before they are put to paper, or keyboard, or what have you.

 I'm a big believer that words are powerful, that they have the potential to hold an almost magical quality and as such should be handled with responsibility.  I also believe that writing is a form of art. If you saw a painting with a cow in the foreground, with a bottle of laundry detergent, while a British soldier played with a hula hoop and in the background was a row of adobe houses and a Christmas tree you'd probably be confused. You'd likely have no idea what the artist was trying to evoke. Plus it would be ugly. Very ugly.

So until I produce a Monet, here are a couple of big thoughts wrapped in small packages.



2 comments: