Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My Mom's Story: Part V - Career Woman

My mother is an artist. I’m not sure many people are aware of this. I think this is because it’s such a natural talent - such a part of her that it doesn’t come up in conversation. It’s as natural to her as walking. No one brags that they can walk. Of course, the difference is that not everyone can paint.

Her medium is water colour and her inspiration is usually scenery. The mountains, flowers, farms, deer were all committed to canvas in a stunning combination of different shades of colour. I would love to be able to dissect and combine colour and light the way my mother does. Actually, I would love to have just a sliver of my mom’s artistic talent. I have been fortunate enough to inherit her creativity but I seem to often lack the finer artistic skill it sometimes takes to carry out my ideas. My mom’s combined talents of creativity and art have given her what we call “The Martha Stewart Touch.” This is evident as soon as you walk into my parent’s house. It’s never mattered how much money my parents had to play with - our family homes have always looked like the covers of magazines. Parties that my mom hosted had handmade chocolates swans and butterflies, animals cut out of melons and napkins folded like origami. When I went into Grade One we were supposed to bring one of our dad’s old shirts to wear when we were painting in art class. While the other little kids were wearing over-sized shirts with the sleeves rolled up, my old shirt had been altered in length, had sleeves with elastics in them, had velcro to replace the buttons and had my name on the front in puffy paint.

I can guess that most of you have drawn the conclusion that she was obviously a stay-at-home mom. You would be correct. My mom did choose to stay at home to look after my brother and me. My parents couldn’t afford this arrangement when I was born so I did spend the first few years of my life at a day care, but luckily this was an option after we came to Alberta. But as any stay-at-home mother will attest it is still a full-time job. Fortunately, my mom was also blessed with above average organizational skills, so I think she probably accomplished more in a day than average. Besides managing our household my mom volunteered, was part of a women’s group and made numerous craft projects which she sold at the local Farmer’s Market. She has also sold a number of her paintings at local art galleries throughout the years.

When I was 13 my mom decided to go back to work. She got a job as a receptionist at a large and reputable catering company. Not long after, the boss realized that her talents and her positive, cheery people skills could be utilized further and she was promoted to a Sales Representative. This usually meant dealing with “bridezillas” while they booked a date, the food and a venue. Customers valued her recommendations on colours, tablecloths and even centre pieces. My mom often went to these weddings personally to make sure the supper went off without a hitch. In 2001, when Edmonton hosted the World Championships my mom was chosen to manage the catering and design all centre pieces and decorations at the VIP Banquet at Fort Edmonton Park. She hired me to be her assistant that night and I got to see her work her magic as she did set up and quality control throughout. At one point she noticed that a dish hadn’t made it out onto the Royals buffet line and when she went to put it out on the table she unknowingly bumped into HRH Prince Edward as he and Sophie were spooning up supper. This will forever be a family story.

When the RCMP informed us that we would be leaving our home to move to Forestburg my mom had to leave her career in the catering industry behind. She had her hands full looking after her two kids. We were teenagers when we were given the decree to pack up and move to the rural town of just over 800 people and we were devastated. At 17, my parents supported my decision to stay in Spruce Grove and live on my own while I finished high school with my friends. However, my mom endured many a teary phone call from me as I related my loneliness at not being with my family. My brother had it harder as he was too young to stay behind, but old enough to know it wouldn’t be easy fitting in to a rural school where he would be the outsider that didn’t grow up there. He was also a star soccer player at a very high tier in Stony Plain. My mom committed to making the two hour drive twice a week with him so that he could continue to practice and play with his team. On top of that she got a job at the popular local deli making and serving meals. Her job became helping her family settle in to its new surroundings and circumstances. It couldn’t have been easy. The years that we spent in Forestburg changed Cam and I forever though. Cam found the love of his life and I made a financial footprint with two careers and an investment in real estate. I also learned that I much prefer rural living to being in the city. I owe all of that to my Mom.

My parents were transferred to Red Deer. Another “hub” as the RCMP calls it. My mom didn’t waste time in getting her resume out. She got a job at the local Winners/Homesense store. The job was the basic cashier/shelf stocking job. Some people may scoff at this because she was too highly qualified. I think that’s the problem with some people these days though. There’s such an attitude of entitlement. People don’t see far enough into the future to realize that what seems like a job “below” your talents or capabilities now may lead to a challenging and rewarding career path. My mom is excellent at seeing farther down the road. She also has such a positive attitude that she makes the best of everything, including the workplace. This attitude and dedication to her job has led her to be promoted three times (at least). Over a year ago the Winners corporation asked my Mom to manage one of their newest stores at Cross Iron Mills just outside of Calgary. She’s achieved the second highest sales in Western Canada after just one year and she’s aiming to be the number 1 store. The big chiefs at Winners have future plans for her as well and are moulding her for her next promotion. Watch for her name, she’ll probably be running all the stores in the country in a few years.

My mom chose to stay home with her kids. She’s moved around the province for her husband’s career. When she decided to re-enter the workforce she started small and worked her way up with determination, dedication and a positive attitude. She doesn’t have fancy degrees or letters after her name but she’s a successful business woman as well as a wife and mother. Not bad for a stay-at-home mom eh?


(Mom and her girls wearing matching "Shelter From the Storm" t-shirts, a charity for abused women that Winners supports. See www.shelterfromthestorm.ca)

There are only two more installments left in this series. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. O lex! this is so interesting:) You have a aright to be proud of your mum!!!

    ReplyDelete