Friday, July 22, 2011

Awesome Stuff #1: Singing in perfect time at the grocery store

Have you ever heard of Neil Pasricha? If not, you need to meet his book - "The Book of Awesome". This book makes me happy when I'm down and makes me appreciate the little things in life. It's a simple and fantastical concept that I wish I had thought of first, but didn't. After that you should read his second book, "The Book of Even More Awesome". If you would like a taste of what you're getting yourself into first, visit Neil's website www.1000awesomethings.com. Now that I've completely convinced you that I am not trying to take credit for another guy's awesome idea, you can read my bits of awesomeness that I plan on interjecting into this blog as the mood strikes. Neil doesn't mind, he's all about spreading the awesome feelings.

Awesome Stuff #1: Singing in perfect time at the grocery store.

I like to sing. I don't really care if I'm putting effort into sounding good or if I'm just making noise to amuse myself, but I like singing and humming (not whistling though - I never mastered that skill very well and it's a bit obnoxious). I sing while I'm getting dressed, I sing while I'm drawing up drugs, I sing while I walk my dog and I most definitely sing when I'm driving in my car. I also like to sing when I'm grocery shopping. Why? You might ask.

Well, first because there's already music playing, and not half bad music either, they have a pretty good selection of songs at my local neighbourhood Sobeys. If you have decent accompaniment you might as well take advantage of it. Secondly, I have nothing better to do while I read through mind-numbingly long lists of ingredients on my quest to keep all wheat and its bi-products away from my GI tract. And lastly, because I like to, and I don't really know many people in town so I don't really care who thinks I'm weird. It's not like I'm singing at the top of my lungs after all.

So there I am, making my way to the baby food aisle, only because that's where they decide to hide the gluten free stuff, and I'm singing along with Kelly Clarkson and Jason Aldean's "Dont You Wanna" (I have no idea if that's the actual title of the song) when that super cheery Sobey's lady interrupts the song over the intercom to tell me how shopping at Sobey's will improve my quality of life and cure world hunger. I keep singing as best I can, hoping that I have the timing right. . .

Then it happens. . .the super cheery Sobey's lady stops talking. . .there's the small pause as the intercom recedes its intrusion. . .and then. . .the song continues EXACTLY in time with your own singing. You finish the song in harmony!

AWESOME!

1 comment:

  1. hehe it is awesome! I'm gonna check out this website (adding to my list of procrastination) as it gave me a little giggle reading your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete